Thursday 17 January 2013

Week 1, Wednesday

In my opinion the most appealing critical approach McMahan explains is the formalist approach. Although all of the others are important, formalism appeals to me the most because I feel it is the most clear and concise critical approach that McMahan explains. I liked this approach the most because I usually take this approach when reading such as poems, stories, etc. I feel that all the other approaches McMahan explains are focused on one topic only while formalism covers everything. For example, the historical approach only focuses on the history of the poem and looking at the piece of literature as the original audience would have. Unlike the historical approach, formalism deals with the poem as a whole. Formalism deals with trying to connect all the separate features in the piece of literature.

The poem I chose to analyse with formalism is: 'Blues' bp Nichol 

This poem is a free verse. Nichol uses no punctuation and just 4 letters to make up the entire poem: l,o,v and e. If you read the poem from the bottom up you will realise it is the same as reading the poem from the beginning. The poem is in the shape of a crossword puzzle and if you look at different angles, love is always the answer.



No comments:

Post a Comment